Friday, July 8, 2011

Summer Reads

Right, so I have not posted for some time now… I have been reading since last I was here.
I just got home from a two week stay in Michigan with my 87+ year old parents. No computer… And my cell phone would not let me make or take calls. Must have been all the trees!
I took only my 14 year old with me. The 17 year old and my husband stayed at home.
My girls have been reading a lot so far this summer. One read all the Harry Potter books again. The 17 year old is on the Deathly Hallows now. She also went through the Twilight books.
The 14 year old is just into the first Harry Potter book now (both on re-reads of HP). But this spring she also finished The Lord of the Ring books and finished The Inkspell books.  
My list of book since I last blogged…



The Host  by Stephenie Meyer  ( I don’t like the Twilight books at all, but this is the second time I read the Host and I like it very much! Good sci-fi story line)
Across the Universe by Beth Revis   ( Another sci-fi I found at the library after reading a blog review about.  It was ok…)
De’ja’  dead  and Death du jour, books one and two by Kathy Reichs ( Bones the tv show is based from the Kathy Reichs books. Not syfy but good reads.)
Virals, again by Kathy Reichs ( This is the first in a new series, not a Bones book, but rather a youth sci-fi.  I liked it. Thought my 17 year old would too. She did! So much so I bought it for her and she went right back and did a re-read with it!)
Then back to syfy with The Hunger Games and Catching Fire, books one and two by Suzanne Collins. ( Good sci-fi but left me feeling down after reading them. I still need to read book number 3.)
The two Anne McCaffrey & Elizabeth Ann Scarborough books about space cats… 1 Catalyst, a tale of the Barque Cats and 2 Catacomebs, a tale of the Barque Cats. (Ok more sci-fi books. Fun reads about space cats.)
Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows by J. K. Rowling (Yes we have been passing the Harry Potter books around in my home this summer. My re-read of the Deathly Hallows were to get me ready for the upcoming movie.)
And this last week I read Girls in Trucks by Katie Crouch ( Not syfy, but what I like to think of as “hot summer reads”. You know the books you bring to the beach or lay in front of a fan drinking iced-tea with.  It was ok…)
So summer is here and its hot! My two weeks out of state left me with more weeds then I want to think about in my garden... And oh no! It looks like it will rain again!


Edit to add link. I hope I did it right...

"at home with books"
Alyce    

Review on the book. Should be down on the bottom of page 5 of her blog...
Her take on the name got me to read the book. That and I was in the mood for sci-fi...


"I was so excited when I picked up Across the Universe from the library, but then I had to set it aside for a few days before I could read it. During those days I couldn’t get the song of the same name out of my head, I quickly realized that I had “Across the Universe” on the brain.* I had to chuckle when I opened the book and saw a quote from the lyrics of the song right before the first chapter.  It’s good to know that I’m not the only one who made the connection between the song and the book." by Alyce.

"at home with books"  has a lot of great book reviews on her blog.



I added a bit of the song, it is stuck in my head...


http://athomewithbooks.net/page/5/

Words are flying out like
endless rain into a paper cup
They slither while they pass
They slip away across the universe
Pools of sorrow waves of joy
are drifting thorough my open mind
Possessing and caressing me


Nothing's gonna change my world
Nothing's gonna change my world
Nothing's gonna change my world
Nothing's gonna change my world

Lennon/McCartney

No comments:

Post a Comment